Friday, April 7, 2006

Day 20 and Counting

Day 20
Hard to believe we are here already...

March 14th was the night Mark and I found out he had "probable leukemia". For that one night, we still had the glimmer of hope this was all a mistake, a mix-up, a chance that when we woke up on Wednesday - we could put it all behind us. Day 20 and counting.

We still both smile occasionally and have conversations about what Audrey did at preschool today, as well as what are Mark's counts? What are the numbers? Does Mark have any nutrifills yet? When will he get his platelets today?

Life is completely different for us now but this is it...hard to swallow but, we do. Between the tears of joy I have now everytime our children do something so ordinary and the tears that escape when I have a "moment" I try my hardest to remember that all our friends and family are thinking of us. The days feel longer now but things seem more real, more important now than ever.

5 comments:

  1. Thinking of you every day and sending our prayers. Mike and Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark, Leslie, Audrey and Noah!

    Just a quick note to say that we are thinking and praying for you everyday.

    Michele, Scott, Malcolm and Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please keep us updated with this site. What a wonderful way to let us know how things are going without repeating yourself thirty times a day! That is why I don't call the house all the time, but plese know you are constantly on my mind. I gotta get my Mom on here, she is always asking about Mark. You're on her prayer list, and our's too of course. So wonderful of Oliver and Shauna to set this up.

    All our Love,
    Maria, Chris, TDC&H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys!

    You are in our thoughts everyday and we wish we were closer to be able to help you out. We are always just a phone call away if you need to talk or just need someone to listen :)

    All our love,
    Jen, Warren, Emma & Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me - I found your blog while looking at a friend's site. I don't know much about this stuff so I'm kind of tripping around here.

    Anyway, a couple of years ago my son was very ill with a rare, chronic and ultimately fatal disease. Within a very short time, I was receiving emails from all over the world from people I'd never heard of sharing with me how they prayed or chanted or did ritual of some kind for him - within the context of whatever their spiritual practice was. Some lit candles, some faced certain directions while they prayed, some offered more traditional prayer, some burned sweetgrass for him, some chanted in Sanskrit - whatever their practice, they shared how they were reaching out through their spiritual beliefs to help my son. It was what sustained me through a very difficult time. And within days of his admission to ICU something 'shifted' and he began to get better - quickly. He stayed on medication for a long time, but it seemed as though the healing had already happened and the job was just to 'ride out the meds'.

    Anyway, he is a healthy happy 20 year old now, with no medical evidence remaining that he ever was ill, and I will never forget the kindness and compassion of those folks from all around the globe who took the time to pray for my son.

    So I will offer an affirmative prayer for you before my day is done here. And offer you now a short affirmation:

    "All of Mark's cells are the product of the original cell. Pure, whole, perfect and Divine."

    Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete