Sunday, February 28, 2010

A new Beginning

'On Tofino' is the place that I call home now. It’s a cozy dead end street in the suburbs of Kanata nestled up against the woodlands of the NCC. It’s the place where I’ve planted roots for the second time in my adult life. This place is more than just a neighbourhood; it’s my new life, a new beginning for my family. A life that I was petrified to face alone has turned out to be one full of surprises. I have made connections with special people along the way that have made my journey here more than bearable.

I remember the day that I accepted this fate.

It was October, Mark had been admitted into the hospital with a critical blood clot and no matter how deep we looked for hope that morning, we just knew. We spent the morning together crying in his hospital bed. We couldn’t bear to leave one another (or even look away from one another) now that we had opened this door to the possibility of the end. It was surreal, the emotions we both felt that day felt like waves crashing down on us. There was no sense to be made of it in the moment. We just felt our way through those few hours, crying, sleeping and then more crying. There wasn’t any need for words.

After Mark had fallen into a deeper sleep, most likely from exhaustion, I slipped out from underneath his arms. I had to escape the tiny room where my life had taken a turn for forever. I spent the next 2 hours wandering the streets of 12th and Granville. No umbrella, it was misting, raining just enough to put your hood up and hide beneath it.

As I walked, the hot tears streamed down my face, the rain felt good against my cheeks. I thought about what it all meant. The diagnosis, the transplant that was once a slim possibility was out of reach forever now. No chance for remission, no cure, no possibility of survival…Mark was going to die. He knew it that day and so did I. This was the only piece of information I could process as I walked and wandered aimlessly.

I couldn’t look ahead and see this (today), my future. It was too painful to even imagine, a life without Mark didn’t seem possible. I walked and walked and I knew I couldn’t go back and face him until I faced the fact that he was going to die. I couldn’t look him in the eye until I had come to some sort of internal agreement within to not feel sorry for myself and to do what I could to help him.

How do you help your husband die? How do you make it easier? How do you fix the unfixable?

I hurried back afraid that he had woken up to find me gone; the 15 floors up to the unit seemed to take forever. I was anxious to see him, but afraid that I wouldn’t be strong enough to keep it together. I wasn’t sure I had it in me to be what he needed as he struggled to face his mortality that day.

As I sat on the edge of the bed, not sure what to say, he looked at me thoughtfully. We were both lost for words. It was probably one of the only times ever that I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t find words to express what I was feeling; nothing seemed to be big enough.

Mark looked at me again and said, “ Les, you have to go back to Ottawa, all your family is there, you have to go. “ I couldn’t speak. I just looked at him and listened (and cried). He kept talking. “You should go back to Ottawa so Audrey and Noah can grow up with their cousins and their Aunts and Uncles. You should go back to Ottawa and build a new life after I’m gone. I don’t want you to be alone. Just promise me, you won’t be alone forever, you can’t be…”

As I write about that day it seems like it was a lifetime ago. The thing I remember the most is the courage he had that day. I was so bewildered with how he could face his mortality with such strength. He forced me to look ahead on what was one of the darkest days of my life. Maybe it was our own way of coping with the unbearable moments we were submerged in, looking ahead in an effort to soften the blow of the present. Maybe, but I pulled a strength from his courage. Mark gave me a reason that day to face my future and ultimately build my new life here ‘On Tofino’.

2 comments:

  1. I fell upon your blog and have been catching up on your entries. Some days they make me sad, no one should go through what your family has so young. Most times, when I finished a certain entry, I ended up with a feeling that I needed to appreciate more the life I had and to stop being negative and serious. At around the same time you lost Mark, we lost a dear friend also. Though losing a lifelong friend is not as devastating as losing a life partner, I have become a better more appreciative person through your sharing. Please keep sharing as it helps others more than you may think.
    From an old high school/facebook friend
    J.McConnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie -- I remember the day you found "On Tofino". It all just seemed to fall into place. I know Mark was guiding our footsteps (car wheels?) that day. This isn't the life and home he wanted for you, because he wanted to share it, but this life and home is the one he found for you.
    ...Carol

    ReplyDelete