Monday, December 31, 2012

With all my heart


The words make me smile softly to myself as I read them.  I find it crumpled up, wet in a school bag days after the winter break has begun.  A piece of art that was tended to with care at the time, forgotten with the excitement of record snowfalls and the anticipation of Christmas.  I place it on the heat register to dry in the night without peaking inside it and remind Noah the following morning that he may have forgotten something in his bag.

It dawns on him when I mention it and he’s immediately concerned about where he misplaced his handmade card.  He makes a start for his school bag, I tell him it’s drying and he stops, relieved that its not lost for good.  Forgotten again for another 24 hours.  Presents, visitors, more snow and the excitement of Christmas morning.

I finally receive the card, hand delivered to me from the heat register after it being moved one or two more times.  Seemingly forgotten and un-important but given to me with a moment of care and pride.

“Here you go Mom, I made this for you…for you and Chris.”
“Thanks Noah.”

A hug and a kiss and he’s gone before I wrap my head around the words.

I read them again and I stare at the printed words on the page and his carefully drawn heart.  I sit and think about how far he’s come, how much he’s lost and how full of love he is today.   Makes me realize just how lucky I am.













Happy New Year to you and yours, may 2013 be full of joy for your family too!

Leslie



No comments:

Post a Comment