Tuesday, January 25, 2011

smile

I saw it in your face tonight, and again last night. You smiled, and I saw your Dad. It wasn’t just a glimpse, it was a familiarity that emerged like it was always there, I just couldn’t see it till now.

A protective barrier maybe? A safety mechanism perhaps, put in place until I could welcome the day when you smiled and I see him in your eyes. I thought I would cry, but I didn’t. I looked at you again tonight as we played lego. I couldn’t help but stare as though I was noticing for the first time how your brown eyes squint when you smile, just like your Dad’s used to. I think you’ve always done it but I wasn’t quite ready…till now.



3 comments:

  1. Oh Les...Thank you for sharing yourself in such a raw way in this post. I am thankful that you have been able to experience this with Noah. It's the simply profound moments that catch our breath, right?
    Lots of love from rainy BC. xoxox Linds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this photo before now. It's a good one, shows Mark in such a real way. Noah is lucky to look like his Dad, lucky to resemble him in many ways.
    Love, Sue

    ReplyDelete