Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Courage

It is with a heavy heart that I write this blog tonight. The kids are tucked in and I have finally worked up the courage to share the latest news.

We got word from Mark's doctor on Thursday that he is not in remission following the latest "salvage chemo". This is exactly what we did not want to hear and we honestly thought it would turn out different. Over the weekend our utter and complete disappointment and sadness has softned a bit as we are now looking ahead at pursuing an experimental clinical trial.

Marks chemotherapy options have all been exhausted now and he can no longer tolerate any more treatments because of toxicity levels. For now, the tranplant will not take place because a remission is necessary for it to stand a chance.

Our strength has been tested a number of times over the last few months but this weekend has been the most difficult. We are cautious to invest our hope in this clinical trial because there are no guarantees and only unknowns in our future.

Writing this blog helps me to see the reality of our situation and puts life into perspective as I hope it does for you reading it right now. It allows me to vent and cry and then finally have hope at the end of each entry because I know this one will NOT be the last one I write. Mark is a fighter and he has resolved to not let cancer steal him away from me or our kids without a fight. So don't feel sorry for us, have hope and feel strength. Have faith in whatever it is you believe in and think of us when you can, we need it more now than ever.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Leslie and Mark,

    Joan and I continue to send our love and prayers. The remission can happen at any time so we are hoping for that positive turn. Much love and support to you both and the kids!!!!

    Mike and Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and warm kind thoughts for your whole family from your neighbour Kelly.K. (#95)

    If there is ever anything I can do around your house, yard etc. please don't hesitate to ask as it would be my pleasure to help in any way I can.

    I'll be definitely thinking well wishes for the Allan Family.

    Sincerely,
    Your neighbour
    Kelly Kriese

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leslie & Mark,
    Cory & I have been thinking about you all weekend and sending you much telephathic strength. I have been asked time and time again why I choose to work where I do, and I know that you understand my answer. I always tell people that it is a privilege to be with families at such a vulnerable time, and it is an equal privilege and honour to get to meet such courageous heroes in families like yours. I can't imagine finding the courage that the two of you have, and we are blessed to know you and learn from your courage and use it to appreciate our own families everyday. All our best to you and the kids,
    Diana & Cory

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie and Mark,

    We're all thinking of you and sending you lots of love and strength to get through this tough time. Continue to feel and be positive because you will get through this. Look how far you've come.
    If I can help out in any way please let me know.
    Take care,
    Heidi xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie and Mark,

    Although we hardly know eachother, I feel compelled to express my thoughts of hope and encouragement to you both. Life is a journey that takes us down some of the most difficult paths. Having a young family myself, thoughts of what you must be going through are just gut wrenching. I just wanted to let you know my thoughts prayers are with you.

    Sincerely, Erin Cormack (Nicholas's Mom from preschool)

    ReplyDelete