Saturday, February 10, 2007

What Can I Do?

It’s been so long since I’ve had time to blog and I feel like I’ve left you all hanging. So much has happened since I last wrote but I can’t seem to remember all the details

You could draw a triangle with your finger on a map that extends from Langley Memorial Hospital, to our house and VGH. Mark and I have been traveling within these three points since I last blogged

The last few weeks have been tougher. Mark’s energy is much depleted as he has been fighting a number of infections with two trips to the hospital via ambulance. It has been the toughest month yet.

Mark was just admitted to Langley Memorial last night and is now concentrating his efforts on jumping over the most recent road block thrown his way—pneumonia!

While Mark had an hour or so of sleep last night I was able to finish my book,” When Bad Things Happen to Good People’ by Harold S. Kushner. A very special friend passed it along to me after her Mom read it. It is a book that examines God’s role in our lives. Being in the “undecided camp” on the topic, I was eager for this book to prove or disprove something for me. I was pleasantly surprised after the first 20 pages or so that it was far from “preachy”

Now that I am finished it, I am left with the feeling that I am not alone during this; I decided a long time ago that these circumstances are nothing more than that. Mark’s leukemia just is.

Life is not fair, the wrong people get sick and it seems so unjust. I have wondered often why bad things happen to good people since March 14, 2006. Now after reading this book I need to focus my energy not on why, but on; now that it has happened what am I going to do about it? What can I do to help my kids remember their Dad? How can I make the rest of Marks time as special as possible? What can I do to help find a cure for leukemia or encourage others to donate blood? How can I help others going through the same thing?

For all these questions I am grateful to have the strength to even want to ask them.
It’s incredible how a simple book can change your outlook.

Thank you Kathryn, and to you too Sharon for lending me a book that has helped point me towards love and change instead of bitterness on this long road ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment