Friday, August 31, 2007

The Odd Day

As time goes by, I wonder what makes up a good day and what makes up a bad one. During this process I am confronted with both, and at times can feel overwhelmed with the moment. I know in my heart that it is completely natural but I can't help but wonder if anyone else in the world has felt like me. Sadly, I know the answer is yes but it doesn't soften the longing I feel for a life I once had.

It is difficult to imagine that this could have happened to my happy little family. Who knew that a persistent sore throat and a few fevers would bring me here to today. I have trouble believing all that has happened over the last 17 months. It is a story that one reads about, I never thought I would be writing about it.

When I look back at the horrible circumstances that have been dealt to me I feel differently about it at different times. Depends on the day, but there is an overall feeling of disbelief still. I hope for a time that things will feel normal again but it seems a long way off. As the days trickle by, I hope that my appreciation for the fragility of life will outweigh my disappointment in what could have been.

There is the odd day that my disbelief takes a back seat and I feel fortunate or even lucky to have made connections with a few special people. I would venture that if all of this had never happened I would still be close to these special friends, but their unconditional love and support for me reminds me how lucky I am. As I get older, I have come to realize that it is rare to come across more than one or two people like this in a life time. The kinds of friends who are there for you and more. People who reach out when no one else knows what to do. When I catch myself appreciating these extraordinary people, I can feel in my heart that one day I will be okay. I consider myself lucky to be able to think of a half dozen people right now in my day to day life that fall into this category. For that, I am truly thankful.

For now, for tonight, I will ride this wave of appreciation I feel for my friends. It can be as simple as a long meaningful chat on the phone, but it is friends like you that remind me that sometimes it's easier to be grateful than sad.

2 comments:

  1. God bless all those people that are helping you through. God bless you for your strength and ability to look at the brighter side of things.... Keep going Leslie. You are special.
    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Leslie!!! I hope more people like this come into your life and continue to bring you even more joy!

    ReplyDelete